Our Mission: (Why do we exist?)
We will prepare each learner with the knowledge and skills necessary for a productive life in a changing world.
Our Vision: (What kind of school do we hope to become?)
Our students will leave Okoboji Schools proud of their educational experience and confident in their skills to succeed.
Our Beliefs: (How must we behave in order to create the kind of school we hope to become?)
- Everyone has the right and the responsibility to learn. Learning is a lifetime pursuit.
- Our learning community consists of students, staff, administrations, school board, families and patrons. Collectively we are committed to excellent education for all.
- High expectations and quality effort create the best potential to maximize achievement. This is best accomplished through identified standards of performance.
- Decisions should be made with the best interests of the students in mind. Decision-making is a collaborative, open-minded process.
- A comprehensive education program, including a broad-based curriculum, access to state of the art technology and a wide variety of activities, provides the best learning experiences for students.
- We believe Character Counts and that showing the attitudes of trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship creates the best environment in which to work and learn. Everyone should feel welcomed at schools.
- A safe school environment is essential. Anything less prevents learners from reaching their potential.
- Resources should be used wisely with the best interests of students always in mind.
- Learning should be purposeful, challenging, stimulating, and rewarding for both students and staff.
- Every student has worth. We will never give up on any child in helping him/her obtain an education.
Our Goals: (What steps are we going to take to meet our mission?)
Increase student achievement
We believe we can increase student achievement by…
- Increasing subgroup proficiency, particularly IEP students through ongoing professional development activities based on the concepts of researched based strategies with a differentiated approach.
- Continuing to search out ways to share programming, staff and resources with neighboring districts to provide equitable opportunities for our students.
- Creating Transitioning and Summer School activities and opportunities.
- Increasing the opportunities for students to obtain college credits before graduation.
Be fiscally responsible.
We believe we can be fiscally responsible by…
- Increase our unspent balance to 3.5%.
- Developing a five-year facilities study.
- Creating a long range five-year budget based on enrollment projections and program evaluations.
Institute a comprehensive public relations program.
We believe we can have a comprehensive public relations program by…
- Working with city leaders and Realtors to market our school.
- Establishing exemplary ancillary programs such as Food Service, Transportation, Custodial, and Secretarial services.
- Exploring ways to gain more involvement/investment from parents.